- syndrome of hyponatraemia associated with excessive beer drinking was first recognised in 1972
- dilutional hyponatraemia occurs due to excessive consumption of an exclusive beer diet which is poor in salt and protein (1)
- beer potomania is a cause of euvolemic hyponatremia
- Bhattarai N, Kafle P, Panda M. Beer potomania: a case report. BMJ Case Reports. 2010 Apr;2010:bcr1020092414. DOI: 10.1136/bcr.10.2009.2414.
- Kujubu DA, Khosraviani A. Beer Potomania--An Unusual Cause of Hyponatremia. Perm J. 2015 Summer;19(3):74-6.
Last edited 08/2022 and last reviewed 08/2022