ruby laser in the treatment of hirsutism
- there is evidence that treatment with ruby laser significantly reduces
hair counts in women with hirsutism
- long-term effectiveness has yet to be established
- ruby laser treatment is not suitable for pigmented skins
- side effects include redness, swelling, mild crusting and blistering - these resolved in 2-3 days. A study (1) resulted in mild hyperpigmentation in some patients (patients with pigmented skin had been excluded from the study) but this faded despite repeated treatments.
- Sommer S et al (1998). Ruby laser treatment of hirsutism: clinical pattern and patient tolerance. Br J Dermatol; 138: 1009-14.
Last reviewed 01/2018