This site is intended for healthcare professionals

Go to /sign-in page

You can view 5 more pages before signing in


Last reviewed dd mmm yyyy. Last edited dd mmm yyyy

Authoring team

Friedreich's ataxia (FRDA), in almost all cases is caused by a mutation in FXN (previously called X25 and FRDA).

  • in majority of FRDA cases (about 96%), there is homozygosity for a pathological expansion of a GAA trinucleotide repeat in intron one of FXN while in the other 4%, there is compound heterozygosity for an intron one GAA repeat expansion in one allele and a point mutation or deletion in the other (1)

The gene FXN codes for the protein frataxin.

  • GAA expansion results in a reduction of frataxin
    • frataxin is a mitochondrial membrane protein involved in iron sulfur protein production, storage and transport

The Friedreich's ataxia mutation results in iron overload in mitochondria and neuronal death.


Create an account to add page annotations

Annotations allow you to add information to this page that would be handy to have on hand during a consultation. E.g. a website or number. This information will always show when you visit this page.