This site is intended for healthcare professionals

Go to /sign-in page

You can view 5 more pages before signing in

Transgender - process for changing name and gender in primary care

Last reviewed dd mmm yyyy. Last edited dd mmm yyyy

Authoring team

  • there is a simple process for this, which is accepted by many government departments including the Department of Health

    • the patient tells their GP, or directly informs the CCG, that they are transitioning and that in future they would be known by their new name and gender. They can write a "statutory declaration", they may have a deed poll document, or they may simply make the request. This request should be in writing, signed by the patient

    • the GP writes to the Registration Office at the CCG. The GP may write a letter of support confirming the gender role change and that this change is intended to be permanent, but this is not a requirement

    • the Registration Office then writes to the Personal Demographics' Service National Back Office. The National Back Office will create a new identity with a new NHS number and requests the records held by the patient's GP. These records are then transferred to the new identity and forwarded to the GP

    • on receipt, the GP surgery changes any remaining patient information including the gender marker, pronouns and names

Trans patients have a legal right to change their name and gender on their NHS records and would be able to bring a civil claim against any GP or practice which I refused to accede their request.


  • 1) NHS Coventry (June 3rd 2010). Process for changing name and gender in primary care.

Create an account to add page annotations

Annotations allow you to add information to this page that would be handy to have on hand during a consultation. E.g. a website or number. This information will always show when you visit this page.