Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources
A collection of resources related to the COVID-19 outbreak, selected for their relevance to primary care professionals. The COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing, and this list was last reviewed and updated on 23 February 2021.
If you are aware of any additional COVID-19 resources that are helpful for primary care professionals and should be added to this page, please contact us.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK data dashboard. Updated daily. Source: Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health England
- Interactive map of global cases. Updated daily. Source: Johns Hopkins University
- The R number and growth rate in the UK. Updated weekly. Source: Department of Health and Social Care and Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies
- Government Chief Scientific Adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance on the new variant of COVID-19 in the UK. Press release. 23 January 2021. Source: Government Office for Science, Department of Health and Social Care.
Guidance hubs from health authorities
- European Medicines Agency. COVID-19 latest updates.
- Public Health England and Department of Health and Social Care: COVID-19 guidance for healthcare professionals. Includes assessment and management of suspected UK cases.
- NICE: COVID-19 hub. Includes rapid guidelines and evidence summaries
- MHRA guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19). Guidance and information for industry, healthcare professionals and patients.
- World Health Organization COVID-19 technical guidance on patient management. Includes various clinical care information and advice documents
- COVID-19 Clinical Risk Assessment Tool. This online tool is powered by QCovidÂ® and helps clinicians better understand how at-risk a person may be of catching coronavirus and being admitted to hospital or catching coronavirus and dying. Source: NHS Digital
Vaccines for COVID-19
- COVID-19 vaccination: information for healthcare practitioners. Includes detailed information on the background of the programme, the vaccines, vaccine recommendations and eligibility, and more. Source: Public Health England
- COVID-19 vaccine adverse reactions. A report covering adverse reactions to approved COVID-19 vaccines. Source: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- International Coalition of Medicines Regulatory Authorities (ICMRA) statement for healthcare professionals: how COVID-19 vaccines will be regulated for safety and effectiveness. Aims to help healthcare professionals answer questions about the role of regulators in the oversight of COVID-19 vaccines. 19 January 2021. Source: ICMRA
- Regulatory approval of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. Source: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Regulatory approval of COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna. Source: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Regulatory approval of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for COVID-19. Source: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Clinical trial publications for vaccines approved in the UK:
- Pfizer/BioNTech: Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N et al. Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2020;383(27):2603-2615. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2034577.
- Voysey M, Clemens SAC, Madhi SA, et al. Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK. Lancet. 2021 Jan 9;397(10269):99-111. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32661-1.
- Voysey M, Costa Clemens SA, Madhi SA, et al. Single-dose administration and the influence of the timing of the booster dose on immunogenicity and efficacy of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AZD1222) vaccine: a pooled analysis of four randomised trials. Lancet. 2021 Feb 19:S0140-6736(21)00432-3. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00432-3.
- Moderna: Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B et al. Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2020 Dec 30:NEJMoa2035389. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2035389.
Treatments for COVID-19
- COVID-19 prescribing briefing: corticosteroids. NICE.
- Therapeutics and COVID-19: living guideline. Word Health Organization.
Advice on medications
- Warfarin and other anticoagulants â€“ monitoring of patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. 13 October 2020
- European Society of Cardiology Council on Hypertension position statement on ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers. 13 March 2020
- NICE COVID-19 rapid evidence summary: angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) in people with or at risk of COVID-19 (Evidence Summary ES24). 21 May 2020
- Disease-modifying therapies in multiple sclerosis
- DMARDS (disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs)
- Immunomodulatory drugs
- Immunomodulatory drugs: temporary pregnancy prevention guidance during coronavirus (COVID-19). Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. 21 May 2020
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories
- Commission on Human Medicines advice on ibuprofen use and coronavirus (COVID-19). Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and Commission on Human Medicines. 14 April 2020
- European Medicines Agency advice on use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and COVID-19. 18 March 2020
- NICE COVID-19 rapid evidence summary: acute use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for people with or at risk of COVID-19 (Evidence Summary ES23). 14 April 2020
- NICE COVID-19 rapid evidence summary: long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for people with or at risk of COVID-19 (Evidence Summary ES25). 21 May 2020
- Medicines in general
- Valproate Pregnancy Prevention Programme: temporary advice for management during coronavirus (COVID-19). Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. 06 May 2020
- Vitamin B12 supplements
- COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing the long-term effects of COVID-19. NICE Guideline NG188. NICE, SIGN, RCGP. 18 December 2020
Advice, statements and resources from professional groups, patient societies and other organisations
- Association of British Neurologists. Updated 29 January 2021
- Asthma UK. Date of last update not available
- Breast Cancer Now. Date of last update not available
- British Geriatrics Society guidance on managing the COVID-19 pandemic in care homes. Updated 18 November 2020
- British Society for Haematology. Updated 08 February 2021
- British Heart Foundation COVID-19 hub.
- British HIV Association COVID-19 and HIV advice. Updated 19 February 2021
- British Fertility Society and Association of Reproductive and Clinical Scientists. COVID-19 vaccines and fertility. Updated 11 February 2021.
- British Society for Rheumatology COVID-19 guidance. Updated 18 February 2021
- British Lung Foundation. Updated 26 January 2021
- British Medical Association COVID-19: ethical issues when demand for life-saving treatment is at capacity. Date of last update not available
- British Thoracic Society COVID-19: information for the respiratory community. Updated 28 January 2021
- Cancer Research UK. Updated 12 January 2021
- Diabetes UK. Updated 18 February 2021
- European Society for Cardiology (ESC) guidance for the diagnosis and management of CV disease during the COVID-19 pandemic. Updated 10 June 2020
- Foot in Diabetes UK (FDUK) lower limb amputation prevention guidance. Updated 23 March 2020
- Heart UK information on cholesterol and coronavirus. Date of last update not available
- Medical Defence Union information on certifying deaths during COVID-19 outbreak. 11 May 2020
- Mind. Updated 05 January 2021
- MS Society. Updated 11 February 2020
- Parkinsonâ€™s UK. Updated 19 February 2021
- Primary Care Diabetes Society. Date of last update not available
- Primary Care Respiratory Society. Updated 01 February 2021
- Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists information on COVID-19, pregnancy and women's health. Date of last update not available
- Resuscitation Council UK on COVID-19 in relation to CPR and resuscitation in first aid and community settings. Updated 13 May 2020
- Royal College of General Practitioners COVID-19 resource hub. Updated daily
- Stroke Association. Date of last update not available
- Society for Endocrinology COVID-19 resources for managing endocrine conditions. Date of last update not available
- Versus Arthritis. Updated 19 January 2021
- Safety and immunogenicity of a vaccine against SARS-CoV-2. Dr Julie Oliver summarises a recent Lancet paper reporting results of the first clinical study of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, a vaccine against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). 20 August 2020
- Musculoskeletal and rheumatic conditions: Use of corticosteroids during COVID-19. Dr Kevin Fernando provides take-home messages from recent guidance on the management of individuals already established on corticosteroids and those who may require corticosteroids. 10 July 2020
- Restoring sexual and reproductive health services during COVID-19 and beyond. Dr Julie Oliver discusses new guidance from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare on which elements should be prioritised during service restoration. 26 June 2020
- Prevention of adrenal crisis during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr Kevin Fernando examines recent guidance on management of patients with adrenal insufficiency, including those with Addison's disease and those on long-term steroid treatment for other conditions. 19 June 2020
- Contraception provision when COVID-19 lockdown restrictions are eased. Dr Julie Oliver provides an overview of guidance from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare. 18 June 2020.
- COVID-19 and chronic kidney disease: NICE rapid guideline NG176. Dr Kevin Fernando summarises the key points for primary care from this recent NICE rapid guideline. 10 June 2020
- Diabetes and COVID-19 related mortality in England: an interview with Partha Kar. Dr Kevin Fernando discusses the findings of NHS research on COVID-19 in people with diabetes with study author Professor Partha Kar, National Specialty Advisor â€“ Diabetes with NHS England. 2 June 2020
- The challenges of managing cardiometabolic chronic conditions through the current COVID-19 pandemic. In this â€œDeep Diveâ€ into COVID-19, Dr Kevin Fernando, Dr Yassir Javaid, Su Down and Dr Andrew Frankel discuss the key considerations for managing people with established cardiovascular disease, diabetes or chronic kidney disease during the pandemic. 27 May 2020
- Managing heavy menstrual bleeding remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr Julie Oliver summarises advice from the Primary Care Women's Health Forum. 22 May 2020
- Remote assessment of breathlessness during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr Kevin Fernando considers the practicalities of assessing breathlessness remotely, based on recent COVID-19 publications from NICE, the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine and the BMJ. 13 May 2020
- Vitamin B12 replacement during the COVID-19 pandemic: British Society for Haematology guidance. Dr Julie Oliver outlines the latest recommendations on managing both dietary and non-dietary vitamin B12 deficiency. 5 May 2020
- Vitamin B12 supplementation during the COVID-19 pandemic. A podcast by Dr Kevin Fernando. 27 April 2020
- COVID-19 management within a primary care setting. Dr David Millar-Jones summarises a practical guide from the BMJ on when to suspect COVID-19 and how to respond. 21 April 2020
- COVID-19 and contraception. Dr Julie Oliver explores advice from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists on supporting effective contraception during the COVID-19 pandemic. 17 April 2020
- COVID-19 in people with asthma or COPD. Dr David Millar-Jones summarises pragmatic guidance from the Primary Care Respiratory Society on routine and crisis management of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease during the COVID-19 outbreak. 9 April 2020
- British Society for Rheumatology guidance, DMARDs, steroid therapy and COVID-19. A podcast by Dr Kevin Fernando. 6 April 2020
- COVID-19 and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. David Millar-Jones examines statements from the European Medicines Agency and MHRA regarding the use of ibuprofen in patients with COVID-19. 2 April 2020
- COVID-19 in patients with endocrine disorders. Dr David Millar-Jones summarises guidance on the management of adrenal insufficiency and diabetes in patients who contract COVID-19. 2 April 2020
- COVID-19: could nasal irrigation reduce transmission, and is there a role for anosmia in screening? A podcast by Dr Kevin Fernando. 31 March 2020
- COVID-19: use of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin-receptor blockers. Dr David Millar-Jones examines recent newspaper stories on the use of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin-receptor blockers in people with COVID-19, and their implications for primary care. 25 March 2020
- COVID-19 and mental health. Dr Jim McMorran and Dr Kevin Fernando highlight WHO guidance on mental health and psychosocial considerations during the outbreak